Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Amish VS Mennonites

This is a report about the similarities and differences of the Amish and the Mennonites.
We were going into our RV campground when we saw people dressed in simple clothes, and they all looked very similar. My dad said, "They look like Mennonites."  My mom and  I were curious about the religion, so my mom decided that I should research it for my homeschool.

Amish and Mennonites are very similar. They both came from the same sect of Christianity called Anabaptists. They both speak Pennsylvania German and/or Dutch. The population of these religions has grown a lot over the years. The reason their population is growing is because they are still having the same number of children as they did in the late 1800s. But the children are now living to adulthood due to better nutrition and healthcare. Both Amish and Mennonite people believe in a peaceful life.  Despite many similarities, they have a few differences.

Let's start with the Amish. Amish are from Switzerland. They have a stricter separation. They believe in no trimmed beards and hooks in eyes instead of buttons. They use horse and buggy transportation, and do not use electricity.

Mennonites are from the Netherlands. They use more modern conveniences, and they have a less strict set of clothing.

Today, I learned about a religion I would have never seen if I hadn't been traveling. We figured out that the people we saw were Mennonites.

No comments:

Post a Comment